Work at PPPGlossary of Terms
Thank you for taking an interest in working at the South Carolina Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services!
- Interested applicants should complete the State Application online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sc/SCDPPPS.
- If you have additional questions, please contact the Human Resources Office at (803) 734-9220.
- Applicants for Information Technology Jobs can review requirements here.
Current job openings:
PROGRAM COORDINATOR I
- Central/Victim Services
- Closing Date: April 20, 2021
- Under the supervision of the Director of the Office of Victim Services (OVS) provide notifications of inmate’s release status, parole eligibility and pardon hearings;
- Assists crime victims prior to and during pardon and parole hearings (in person and virtual);
- Provides a full range of services to crime victims to include referrals as needed;
- Promotes the agency victim services programs;
- Represents SCDPPPS, OVS in internal and external victim services efforts;
- Maintains electronic files;
- Maintains statistics on various data from OVS field victim advocates and central office staff;
- Provides assistance to field victim and advocates upon request.
PROBATION AND PAROLE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
- Statewide Vacancies
- Closing Date: Continuous
- Reviews background information, interviews offenders, assesses offender risk and needs and develops supervision plans.
- Explains conditions of supervision to offenders; counsels offenders regarding appropriate behavior and life skills; refers offenders to appropriate services.
- Makes and documents required contacts with offenders; gathers and reports information about offenders.
- Monitors offender compliance with conditions of supervision; discusses offender violations with supervisor to determine what action should be taken.
- Gathers information about possible violations and prepares violation reports.
- Locates violators, executes arrests and takes violators into custody.
- Presents offenders and violation reports to hearing officers, the Board of Paroles and Pardons or courts. Processes offenders from court.
- Develops and maintains professional competence.
The South Carolina Department of Probation, Parole and Pardon Services is committed to the active recruitment of highly motivated individuals for all positions. SCDPPPS employees become part of a team dedicated to improving the lives of all citizens in the state of South Carolina. Interested persons enter a highly competitive selection process. All components of the selection process use minimum qualifications that are job related. Selection processes for both sworn and non-sworn positions may include one or more of the following components:
- Complete on-line Application
- Reading Comprehension Testing (Nelson Denny Testing)
- Background Investigation
- Medical Examination
- Physical Ability Testing (PAT)
- Credit Check
- Psychological Testing
- Drug Testing
- Final Hiring Decision
Applicants for the Probation and Parole Law Enforcement Officer Career Track must hold a bachelor's degree with at least 15 semester hours in social or behavioral science courses; an associate’s degree and two (2) years of military or law enforcement experience (to include Class1 or Offender Supervision Specialist experience) may be substituted; or a high school diploma and four (4) years of military or law enforcement experience (to include Class 1 or Offender Supervision Specialist experience) may be substituted. Officers are Class-One Certified and must complete the Basic Training Program at the Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia, the Department's Basic Training courses and on-the-job training.
- Cannot have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or be subject to a criminal domestic violence restraining order. (Forfeiture of bond, a guilty plea, or a plea of nolo contendere is considered the equivalent of a conviction.)
- Must complete a Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure authorization.
- Will be fingerprinted for a criminal background check.
Upon a conditional offer of employment, an applicant must undergo a screening for illicit drugs a physical examination, and a psychological screening.
Applicants interested in applying for any position at SCDPPPS should first complete the State Application online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sc/SCDPPPS.
Applicants interested in applying for the position of Probation and Parole Law Enforcement Officer I, must then take the Department’s test focusing on reading comprehension and vocabulary. On the date of testing, applicants must bring a copy of the state application which includes the Probation and Parole Agent Checklist, certified college transcripts or high school diploma & DD -214 (if applicable), photo ID and Social Security Card to the designated test site.
Officer applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and successfully pass the reading comprehension test may be contacted by the Human Resources Office for an interview before the Agent Applicant Interview Panel at the Central Office in Columbia.
(Any applicant with prior Department service Class 1 Certified P&P Law Enforcement Officer (C1 Agent) will not be required to retake the reading comprehension test or appear before the panel. They should contact the Agent in Charge of the county of interest.)
To receive more information, contact the Human Resources Office at (803) 734-9220.
The goal of any recruitment process is to generate a pool of qualified applicants. There is no minimum or maximum number of applicants to be included in an applicant pool. However, a competitive pool should reflect racial and gender diversity. Recruitment efforts will include sources or means by which this diversity can be achieved. All qualified applicants will be considered.
All Probation and Parole Agents will be assigned their own law enforcement vehicle to execute department related duties.
State insurance to include health, dental, vision, and/or life insurance and disability. Please visit PEBA Insurance Benefits for more information.
All employees are eligible to enroll in the SC State Retirement System. Our law enforcement positions are eligible for the Police Office Retirement Systems (PORS) and our non-law enforcement positions are eligible for either the SC Retirement Systems (SCRS) or the State Optional Retirement Program (ORP). Please visit PEBA Retirement Benefits for more information.
Employees can also contribute to a 401(k) or 457(b) plan through the SC Deferred Compensation Program. This voluntary program allows you to save and invest extra money for retirement through before-tax and/or after-tax contributions. Please visit SC Deferred Compensation for more information.
Leave and Holidays
All employees in a full-time equivalent position receive 15 days paid annual leave per year and 15 days paid sick leave per year. There are also 13 paid holidays per year. Please visit State Human Resources Division for more information.
Offender Supervision Specialist
In 2017 SCDPPPS was granted statutory authorization to hire a new staff position for which members of the public may apply. Offender Supervision Specialists (OSS), are non-Class 1 staff members who monitor low level offenders for a team of Class 1 certified Agents and handle non-law enforcement duties associated with these offenders. The monitoring duties conducted by OSS staff consists of the review of supervision reports, financial reports and arrest records. OSS staff are not assigned high level or sex offender cases. (Offender supervision level is determined by a risk and needs assessment administered to offenders.)
OSS staff experience minimum contact with offenders in the SCDPPPS County Offices. Class 1 Agents continue to address and handle all offender violations. OSS do not perform face to face contacts with offenders in the field, do not issue or serve legal process and do not transport offenders. OSS staff do, however, attend the SCDPPPS 3-week Basic Training to learn basic supervision skills. OSS staff also receive office safety training. Interested applicants can find the applications online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sc/SCDPPPS.